Protect the unprotected in your IBM i environment
MIMIX® for PowerHA® works with IBM® PowerHA® to extend and enhance its data and application protection. IBM® PowerHA® SystemMirror® for i is based on the IBM storage subsystem’s high availability features, which replicate at the disk sector level. IBM PowerHA adds intelligence to address the difficulties of using sector-based replication with the IBM i architecture. However, gaps may exist in IBM PowerHA protection, leaving data unreplicated and providing none of the safeguards that come with an additional local or remote HA/DR server.
MIMIX for PowerHA is a complementary solution that enhances IBM PowerHA protection and audits for conditions that could impact switch operations. When paired with MIMIX® Availability™, MIMIX for PowerHA also extends HA/DR protection by enabling replication of data to additional local or remote servers for disaster recovery, query, and data distribution purposes.
What’s New in MIMIX for PowerHA?
- Continuous autofix technology detects and intelligently repairs exceptions found during replication and audits. This can significantly reduce day-to-day management requirements, while also enhancing performance. Full visibility into all objects requiring repair is provided through VSP.
- Replication performance has been enhanced to keep pace with growing transaction volumes. High throughput environments benefit from enhancements to the way changes are applied to the backup server, while performance is improved for highly constrained environments through more flexible constraint handling.
- Greater control of audit statuses allows administrators to tune audit results for their environment, reducing the number of reported exceptions and easing the audit management workload.
- A new customizable, automated procedure for point-in-time operations enables tape-based backups or other custom processes to be performed on data from a user-defined point in time.
- Faster, easier problem analysis and resolution is facilitated by default actions that guide administrators through the best approach for resolving synchronization issues. Objects on the production and backup servers can also now be compared side-by-side on the same screen with differences highlighted.
- Additional information is provided in MIMIX Data Protection Reports to support the creation of optimal replication configurations.
How it works
IBM PowerHA does not replicate SYSBAS data. This includes data that is not supported in an IASP or that is associated with applications that have not been modified to run in an IASP. MIMIX for PowerHA provides replication of SYSBAS data, covering these gaps in data and application protection. It also monitors for IBM PowerHA configuration issues that could slow or halt a switch operation.
MIMIX Availability can replicate data located in both IASP and SYSBAS. When MIMIX for PowerHA is paired with MIMIX Availability, it extends IBM PowerHA HA/DR protection, enabling replication of real-time data in both IASP and SYSBAS to additional local or remote servers for disaster recovery or other purposes. These additional copies of the data can be accessed in real time for a variety of purposes and are kept in sync when production is switched to a backup server.